Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Introducing ... Sesame!

Five weeks in, the baby has grown to the size of a sesame seed and I've taken up the silly habit of referring to it by its size - whence, meet Sesame. Next week, we'll be talking about Lentil.

According to BabyCenter.com, this is an incredible week of development, with the nervous system and the circulatory system beginning to form. The heart should be dividing into chambers and beginning to beat and pump blood. Sesame has progressed into looking like a tadpole (I realize this may not sound like progression to some) and the umbilical cord that connects us is providing the nourishment that it needs. When I think about how quickly all of the changes are going on and how much of a difference each week makes, I am honestly floored. What an amazing process!

Today I noticed that my sense of smell seems to have become really acute. I hugged my husband when he came home from work tonight and the Tide I use to do the laundry was almost overwhelming Then we went out to dinner and I could smell the scallops on his salad from across the table. It's totally bizarre - I'm not sure what the point of all this is, but I'm just hoping it doesn't lead to nausea!

Lastly, a quick follow up to my last post - telling my parents that they're going to be grandparents again (my brother and his wife have a 15 month old) was a really fun experience and one that I hope to remember forever. I bought each one a very soft little rattle (wrapped in separate boxes) and we gave them as "random" presents. My mom was the first to get the rattle out of the box, which we told her we thought she would be able to use in January. Realizing what that meant came very quickly and my parents' happiness was apparent both in their voices and on their faces. My mom hurried my dad to finish opening his to see what his was - for a brief moment, they thought we were having twins. HA. Hugs pursued, followed by all the normal questions. How am I feeling? When can they tell people? Have we started shopping yet? (The answers, if anyone cares: tired, in 8 weeks, and no except for What to Expect When You're Expecting for me and My Boys Can Swim!: The Official Guy's Guide to Pregnancy for my husband - reviews to come.)

No comments: