Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Time to go bra shopping!

I have to preface this post by saying that I have reached a new level of exhaustion tonight. I've been tired for the last couple of weeks, which I read is completely normal for the first trimester, but today is different. I'm sure having been travelling for the last five days has played a big role, but keeping my eyes open and actually being productive at work felt like unachievable goals for much of the day. Luckily, the work day is done!

Ok, so now onto the real reason for posting - being six weeks pregnant and needing new bras. There's no doubt that my boobs have grown larger over the last couple of weeks, but I seem to have blossomed even further overnight, making my 34C bras look and feel a bit ridiculous. Bra shopping is one of my least favorite activities, but it's definitely a necessity for this weekend or else I'm going to be carrying two muffin tops under my shirt for the next several months!

The reason for this shopping trip is our growing little Lentil. He (I say "he" because Lentil sounds like a male name) should be about 1/4 inch long and growing eyes, ears and a nose. When I first found out we were pregnant, I signed up for weekly emails from babycenter.com, which provide me with updates on the developmental activity going on inside of me, including how big the little tike is (so we can determine the name of the week). This week's email:

The nose, mouth, and ears that you'll spend so much time kissing in eight months are beginning to take shape. If you could see into your uterus, you'd find an oversize head and dark spots where your baby's eyes and nostrils are starting to form. His emerging ears are marked by small depressions on the sides of the head, and his arms and legs by protruding buds. His heart is beating about 100 to 160 times a minute — almost twice as fast as yours — and blood is beginning to course through his body. His intestines are developing, and the bud of tissue that will give rise to his lungs has appeared. His pituitary gland is forming, as are the rest of his brain, muscles, and bones. Right now, your baby is a quarter of an inch long, about the size of a lentil bean.

It's no wonder I'm tired! I'm growing bones for crying out loud!

Besides growing bones, ears, etc. this week, I'm also revamping my diet to make sure I'm getting what I need, including drinking a lot more milk and eating more fruits and veggies. I don't think I'm a terrible eater, but I think it's safe to say I could certainly be better!

One more thought before I sign off and get a bit closer to giving into these heavy eyelids - I promise that I will never ask a woman that I do not know if she's taken a pregnancy test. I was at a bachelorette party this past weekend for one of my best friends, and one of her soon to be relatives asked me that exact question when I said I was drinking seltzer because we were trying. It was in front of a bunch of people and the question was TERRIBLE for a couple of reasons. 1. I had to provide some sort of answer, which meant that I was continuing to lie to many of my close friends. 2. It felt rude, invasive, personal - I don't know this woman, what on earth (besides lacking social skills, manners, a filter) possessed her to even ask? Some people are just plain weird I guess.

No comments: