Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Four weeks later ...

In the words of our nephew, holy moly! In the last four weeks, Piper's cut two teeth, been on her first plane ride, met her cousin Ravel, started going to story time at Crandall Library, has had baby play dates, and loves to be propped up standing on anything and everything. She's been busy! Let's back up to the teeth ...

Her first tooth (bottom left front), popped through the surface the day before we left for Colorado. Perfect timing, since I really didn't want her to be fussy the entire plane ride. And said plane ride was intimidating ... I was so nervous about how she was going to be, but she was absolutely wonderful. The baby that hasn't taken a pacifier in months sucked it on both flights out, and in general, traveled like a dream. She did have one meltdown, on the second flight out, but I couldn't blame her. We boarded the plane and it was SO hot. They had the heat cranked to full blast and I was sweating. It was so hot that I literally stripped her down to her diaper and she still got a heat rash. So the poor little thing wailed for a few minutes, probably scaring all the passengers around us, but once we were up and the plane got cooled down, she was just fine. So after a super early morning wake up and lots of hours of traveling, we arrived in Colorado, where Piper got to meet Ravel for the first time and play with someone her own size.

So the travel day was great - and then the next day, tooth number two began to rear its ugly head. Basically she teethed the entire trip and then the second tooth popped out the day before we left (thankfully!) so we had another smooth trip back. And now the two teeth are super cute, about a third of the way in. I love how she sticks her tongue out all the time and moves it around, trying to feel the two new objects in front. It's absolutely adorable :-)

Colorado was a busy and fun trip! Piper made her first visit to an aquarium, went to a pretty spectacular aquatics center where the pools were warm and there was a family hot tub with lots of fun bubbles to watch. Let's see ... she also participated in Copland's musical lesson birthday party (well, she slept through most of that), played with lots of new and different toys, went for numerous walks in the sunshine, and sat through many a photo session. And as for taking pics, we discovered how difficult it was to take a perfect picture of two infants and a toddler. If only they would all smile together!

And now we've been back for almost three weeks and I'm still trying to figure out how I haven't been able to sit down and blog for all this time. In some ways, I feel lazy once I realize how much time has passed, but then again, I think I'm just plain tired. Piper is still taking her 30 minute morning nap, and then maybe a 20 minute midday and/or 20 minute afternoon nap, but those are typically when we're out and about, waking up as soon as we hit the driveway. So we play and play and play while we're home, which is a lot of fun, but when she goes to bed between 7:30 and 8, I am wiped. And still struggling with staying on top of our house and keeping it neat (which it never is ...). And then there's the fact that it's been nice to sit on the couch and hang out with Reid in front of the winter Olympics. If someone had told me how behind I would be in terms of communication, even at this point (7.5 months later), I wouldn't have believed them! But looking back through my pics, I do realize just how much fun we've had and it definitely makes me smile. And Piper totally poses for pictures now, which I find hilarious. Here are a couple of good examples ...


I also realized that I never blogged about deciding to be a stay at home mom and not return to the crazy world of PR, which I've been meaning to do since the fall. Needless to say, I look at those previous two pics and feel like Piper's smile explains it all. Maybe I'll pontificate a bit more about that another time, but for now I'm signing off and turning on the Olympics. Peace out.

No comments: