Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Happy anniversary to us!



Three years ago today, my husband and I boarded the Northern Lights in Burlington, VT as singletons and disembarked later that night as husband and wife. It was an unbelievable day ... the weather was gorgeous. Even though it was August, it wasn't hot or humid. We were surrounded by our friends and family, and looking back, it was pretty much perfect. Now three years later, life is fantastic. I couldn't be more head over heels in love with Reid and Piper has only added to our joy. Happy anniversary, honey!

And now a quick update on the little one. She is doing GREAT. She seems to have finally figured out the difference between night and day and has been sleeping like a rock star for several days now. She wakes up once in the night to eat, and then typically goes down again for the remainder of the night, which has us recovering and feeling like humans again. I'm not going to lie, when she wasn't sleeping, it was really hard. There were three days and nights in a row that she hardly slept and I was a walking zombie. It's so difficult to be rational when you reach extreme exhaustion, and a good cry never seemed that far under the surface. It was very overwhelming to have this little human whom we couldn't seem to make happy for an extended period of time ... but now she, and we, seem to be figuring this out and life is much improved again. My mom told me that this (motherhood) will be the hardest job I'll ever have, and so far I agree. But at the same time, it is an unbelievably awesome job and I'm so happy to be doing it :-)

Piper is chunking up nicely and she seems huge now compared to when she first arrived. I love her chunky cheeks, multiple chins and fat thighs. It's almost time to put her newborn clothes away, which in a way makes me sad because she barely had time to wear many of them! The 3 month clothes are just as cute, don't get me wrong, but I can't believe I'm already putting stuff away in the basement, either for another little girl or for Piper's dolls if we have a boy next time. It's insane how quickly this is all passing. Everyone tells you that - and to enjoy every minute because time does pass so quickly - but the first month was such a blur between adjusting, sleepless nights, exhaustion, overwhelming happiness, etc, that there really isn't enough time to just sit and take it all in and enjoy it. It kind of reminds me of our wedding day in that respect, and is a good reminder of how important it is to just chill and put these things to memory while we can.

She's not just getting bigger either - there are so many other changes. Her eyesight has definitely improved and she now stares at us and objects intently. She also likes to track people and toys as they move around. It seems like she's starting to enjoy the animals hanging down from her gym and now we're just waiting for her to smile. She smiles every once in a while in her sleep, but I can't wait to see her light up in response to us, and not what I'm guessing is just gas.

I still owe many people phone calls and I definitely need to upload more photos and order birth announcements and all that jazz. Our house is still a mess and the nursery still doesn't have pictures on the walls. It's hard fitting it all in and it feels like there are always a million items on the to-do list, but I feel like we're getting a bit closer to a balancing act. Sleep definitely helps with that!

Piper just woke up! Time for her to eat. More to come, hopefully soon ...

No comments: