Saturday, March 17, 2012

We should have known it was coming ... bed rest!

I have to start by saying that I'm jealous of Piper and Reid right now because they're at our favorite diner having breakfast, which is one of our favorite things to do on Saturday/Sunday. But it's all for a good reason because a healthy baby and healthy mama are this moment's (and the next month's) top priorities. After a trip to the hospital two days ago to confirm that I was having preterm labor, I'm on bed rest. Yuck.

When I was pregnant with Piper, bed rest wasn't a huge deal. It was boring, and looking back, I'm not really sure what I did for almost four weeks, but this time around is completely different. With a super active toddler, the whole game has changed. I now have two super important goals: 1. keep the baby in, 2. keep Piper happy. Let's just say her adjustment period to this new baby is well underway. I think the plan is to keep her days filled with people she loves, while factoring in some cuddle time with me on the couch. We thought about getting a nanny for the next month, but it would have to be someone she didn't know and that's just one more big adjustment I'd rather not put her through ... I think we're asking enough of her at this point! And admittedly, I'm trying to minimize my guilt too. This is my last time to have just for Piper, and it's getting taken away to a certain extent. Pregnant with Piper, it drove me nuts that I never got to nest. This time around, my last bit of special time with Piper is getting taken away. I know what people would say: before we know it, both kids will be in college and we'll never remember this part anyway. Well, there's probably some truth to that.

There's one thing I'm sure of, though, I do not have a good baby making body! Although we've talked about the potential of bed rest and knew it was a possibility (apparently the biggest risk factor is having had it before), there was still a lot of me that was in denial about having to actually be on bed rest. Well, no denying it now. But now, I have absolutely no excuse but to blog! So while Piper's at school more of the time and hanging out with people she loves, I'll be catching up on pictures, catching up on her "baby book", and please for the sake of this next child, actually take another bump picture or two. More to come!

No comments: