Monday, March 30, 2009

Old wives tales about a baby's sex

Since the fact that we're pregnant has been publicly known, I've heard many rumors and speculation about how to tell the sex of an unborn baby. My rational gut reaction to all of these seemingly silly stories is that everyone has a 50/50 chance of guessing what's growing in my stomach right now. As far as probability goes, 50/50 isn't too shabby. Does that make your story true? Unlikely ... but based on the stories that are out there, it appears I'm more likely to be carrying a girl than a boy.

  • Fetal heartbeat: Fast heartbeat = girl; slower heartbeat = boy. Now, when I've asked people to define "fast" and "slow", I haven't received concrete numbers, but the fact that our last appointment showed a heartbeat of 155 somehow meant fast and therefore girl. We'll see what Wednesdays numbers end up being.
  • Linea negra - theory #1: Line on your belly? High estrogen, which means a girl. No line, better paint the nursery blue. I've got a line - guess I'm having a girl.
  • Linea negra - theory #2: If the line only goes from your pubic bone to your belly button, then it's a girl; if it goes up past your belly button up to your sternum, then it's a boy. My line only goes up to my belly button - girl again!
  • How you're carrying the baby: This is kind of like the heartbeat and what's denotes "fast", but apparently if you're carrying evenly across your front, onto your sides, it's a girl. Carrying what looks like a basketball on your front, with it ALL out front, it's a boy. The other amazing thing is that experienced mothers are apparently able to tell how you're carrying from a profile pic. Profile = from the side. I personally think I'm carrying all out front (boy), but others have said it's more dispersed than that. Again, according to others, I'm having a girl.
  • Baby's level of activity: Got a quiet baby in there? Girl. Growing a kick boxer? Boy. Again, so subjective ... maybe it comes with experience, although I can think of plenty of people from both sexes that I could bet on being either active or quiet babies. Looking at the genetic pool we're dealing with (I'm thinking of you honey), I would be SHOCKED if I didn't have an active person growing in there, boy or girl! So yes, I would say we have an active baby - boy? I'm not convinced ...
  • Penny and the wall: There's something about a penny and the wall and whether it sticks. My pregnant brain is not letting me remember the rest, but we haven't tried to put a penny on the wall anyway so jury's still out.
  • You just are ...: And then there's my final favorite - "I can just tell." So my mom thinks it's a girl and has since we first said we were pregnant; my mother in law says boy; a friend's mom said girl. And why? Well they can just tell.

I'm sure I'll hear many more theories before July 17 - keep them coming because I find them amusing! If you had asked me several months ago, I would have said definitely a boy (with roots from when we conceived during my cycle), but now I honestly am lacking a gut feeling, probably in part because so many people have told me I'm wrong - you've made me doubt myself! Back to being indecisive.

No comments: