Wednesday, June 18, 2008

First prenatal appointment

I have to preface this post by saying that today was a lot less exciting than I thought it would be. I think part of it had to do with the fact that the doctor's office seemed to be running very behind, so my physical exam was put off until my next appointment (in four weeks - July 17 to be exact). What was left was providing a urine sample (to confirm I was pregnant), having my height, weight and blood pressure checked, and then talking about nutrition and any questions or concerns we had.

One very good piece of news came out of the hour and a half (most of that time spent waiting, either in the waiting room or in my exam room): I need to be eating ice cream! Based on my current height and weight, and my current very healthy eating habits, the midwife said I could probably use more fat in my diet. She also said I should gain between 30 and 40 pounds over the next seven months. 30 I can deal with, 40 sounds like a TON. I know I'm annoying when I say this, but I've never had to try to lose weight before - well, that's not 100 percent true. I had to lose a few pounds to fit into my wedding dress, but I've never been overweight and had to lose weight and I really don't want to be in a position where that's the case. Oh well ... this isn't about me, it's about Razzle and Razzle needs some mint chocolate chip ice cream tonight. I might as well enjoy it!

I did find out today what my next appointment will consist of: I'll have my first ultrasound where they'll date the baby (tell me exactly how far along I am, even though we have a good guess now) and we should hear a strong heart beat. The ultrasound should take about a half hour and then I have to have a typical annual physical exam (pap smear, etc). In the meantime, I will visit the hospital to have blood taken so that they can run some normal prenatal labs. I am very much looking forward to the first ultrasound! If I had had one today, I guess we wouldn't have been able to hear the heartbeat. I'm willing to wait for that :-)

This weekend we head to Maine, where my brother, his wife and their 17 month son are vacationing for a week from Colorado. We haven't told them yet, we've been waiting to see them in person, so that should be fun. Other than that, we're still keeping this news primarily on the DL ... five more weeks and then this can be public info!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to get a bowl of ice cream.

No comments: