Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Day 7 - Time is flying!

Well we tried to take a new profile picture this morning, but I quickly learned it's hard to look cute while on bed rest. My hair was still wet from the shower (no blow drying these days), I didn't have any makeup on (that's hard to justify right now) and in general, the cuteness factor was just really low. So, since basically no one is seeing me these days, here's what you need to know: the baby is growing so my belly is bigger! We're going to try and take another picture tonight when my hair is dry as we do want to document all of this for the little one to see someday!

We're seven days into bed rest, and to be honest, it hasn't been that bad. Of course it's not thrilling by any means, but I was shocked to realize this morning that this was day 7. One week is almost done!

So how am I spending my days? I'm a huge fan of to-do lists - I like the organization that it imparts on my life and I love to be able to check off tasks I've accomplished. In fact, I enjoy the crossing off so much that sometimes I'll add items to the list after I've done them just so that I can cross them off. I'm super anal and I know it. So I've made a list and I do a few things everyday. Of course I could probably accomplish everything in an hour if I just ran down the list, but I like dragging it out as I know I have plenty of time on my hands and it's nice to feel like I've accomplished a little something each day. Today it's renegotiating our home owner's insurance and calling to remove the business features from our phone. Holy moly Wednesday's a big day!

Probably the biggest change that I'm still getting used to is having maternity leave start very abruptly. We went into the doctor's office on Monday for a check up, where we were told that I really shouldn't be doing any work at this point. I hadn't been doing a ton since I went on bed rest anyway because it is hard to type while laying down (I'm propped up on the couch to blog - shhh), but it's also weird to just stop working and transition everything immediately. Work is typically such a big part of daily life (lots of to-do lists there!) and it's done for now ... in a way, I'm thankful for the abrupt transition as I think it actually makes it easier from a number of perspectives, but it's still an adjustment. I'd like to say I'm excited about daytime TV, but in truth, I find it to be pretty terrible. I don't like Oprah (sorry, but I find her annoying, although I do respect her influence) and the Today Show absolutely goes to hell as soon as Kathy Lee and Hoda come on. Thank God for DVR, Netflix, a laptop, and lots of good books!

I did get sucked into A Baby Story on TLC yesterday and I discovered that I might be a bit more hormonal than I used to be. Well first, the delivery process freaked me out more than it ever has in the past. That's for obvious reasons ... that could be us in a little over two weeks and the lady looked absolutely MISERABLE ... but the other part that threw me off was that I got completely choked up when the baby came out and they put it on the mom's chest and the parents started to get emotional. I have NO background on this family (I turned the show on after they did that part) nor a connection to their little one, but my eyes were filled with tears and I had to take a deep breath for sure. I'm not usually a very emotional person, but for the first time, I started thinking about how emotional of a process this may be. I'm so excited and nervous at the same time and he or she is going to be here before we know it! It's going to be great.

No comments: