Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The healthcare factory

Due to the preterm labor, I now go to my OBGYN practice every week and yesterday was that day. I always see a nurse first, who checks my urine for protein and sugar, weighs me (I lost two pounds - but probably really only a pound because it was the first appointment to which I've worn shorts and a tanktop), checks blood pressure and the fetal heartbeat (160 yesterday - the highest it's been). It's a quick interaction and then we see whoever is scheduled to check me - either a doctor (not very often) or a midwife.

Yesterday I saw a doctor, whom I saw two weeks prior, pre any preterm labor symptoms. Now, I realize that I haven't seen her since I've been to the hospital twice, but all of this information is in my chart. After she asked me how I was feeling, she asked me if I was familiar with the signs of preterm labor ... um, do you think you could at least look at the chart before walking into the room? I think it shows just how you have to be your own advocate when it comes to the healthcare system, because many practices are run like poorly run businesses - no one really has any responsibility or accountability for me. This frustrates my husband to no end, and while I certainly do not find it comforting or reassuring, I've accepted it. They see too many people every single day to remember me or care. It's such a bummer that many practices have turned into this, but I guess healthcare would be even more expensive if that wasn't the case. How do you fix it? I wish I had the answer to that question ...

I did confirm with the doctor that as soon as I hit 36 weeks, the bed rest restrictions are lifted. Her answer, absolutely. As soon as we get to 36 weeks, all bets are off. To prep for that, I'm going to make a brow wax appointment and pedicure appointment for next Friday - now fingers crossed that we make it that long! I've felt "off" since I woke up this morning so I'm hoping that doesn't mean we end up in the hospital again later. Hopefully it's just the change in weather that's contributing to that feeling - instead of bright and sunny, it is dark and rainy. The little one is moving around as I type so that's a good thing, and I'm pounding my water and not breaking any of the bed rest rules. I'm doing what I can, now I just hope this little one does what it needs to do and just stays cooking!

No comments: